My Backpack

I read the book Finding Someplace last summer. The story followed a girl named Reesie who had to leave her home when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans. She packed her backpack with all necessary items for her departure, she thought of all things she might need to bring and brought them. After reading this book I was tasked with writing and drawing all the items that I would bring in this situation.

There would be many items I would want and need but these are the ones that are most important, so here they are. I would get the passports and credit cards for any emergencies that involve exiting the country, I would bring some cash just in case. I would get some fruits and sandwiches so I can be full and content on my journey. I would bring some Doritos because Doritos are good. I would fill my water bottle and strap it on but also bring a water filter so I can drink the flood water if I run out of water. At the Superdome I would enjoy something comfortable to sleep on so I would get a sleeping bag, pillow, and neck pillow. Entertainment would be necessary so I would grab a book, phone, Nintendo Switch, portable charger, and switch portable charger. I would have to have clean clothes because the clothes I was wearing would smell of floodwater, so I would get those. Lastly, I would bring a journal and pencil to document this journey.

This would require a large backpack, I would have to be very fast as I got the items I required, at least before the flood water takes it away into the darkness of the water. Escaping would be difficult but I could manage it. So in conclusion, if Hurricane Katrina struck Durham, these would be the first items I would nab.

One thought on “My Backpack